Model makers create radio-controlled planes either from a kit or by crafting one out of wood. Designing and building your own RC plane without a kit can be a challenge. A simple non-kit-created RC plane can be made using some light plywood, screwdrivers, light screws and light model airplane engines. These materials can be found at most model shops.
- Draw the design of your plane onto plywood. This should include the plane body, the wings, the rudder, elevators and any other aspect of the body.
- Use a saw to cut out the plane pieces. A jigsaw would work best for precision cuts.
- Open the RC plane kit and take out the mechanical plane parts.
- Screw your wings, plane body, tail and nose of your plane into a simple plane shape.
- Add your mechanical parts to your plane. This will include the propeller, wing control mechanisms and the fuel tanks.
- Put batteries into the remote, add RC plane fuel and start it up.